The Salvation Army began its work in Calgary in 1887, opening our first church in the city, the Calgary Citadel Corps. Several years later, in 1904, our social work commenced with the arrival of two officers (pastors) who opened a home for unwed mothers. Over the years, The Salvation Army in Calgary continued to grow, increasing its social and religious services to arrive at the two churches, one hospice, and one social services unit in operation today. In 2005, our social services were amalgamated into one unit, then named Calgary Community and Residential Services. Now called Community Services (Calgary), CS(C) offers a variety of programs and services to men, women and children from all walks of life.